New York Auto Insurance
Screeching tires. Slamming brakes. A death grip on the steering wheel. Time seems to slow down but the impact of your car and the one in front of you is over in an instant. The airbag deploys. Metal crunches against metal. Both cars spin out of control onto the shoulder. Once everything comes to a full stop, you make sure that, thankfully, everybody in your car is safe.
How is the other driver? How bad is the accident? What happens next?
New York Requires Minimum Auto Insurance
If you’re a New York State driver, you’re required to have auto insurance. You know it’s there for you in times like these. The real question is – do you have enough insurance?
New York requires a specific liability insurance minimums:
- $10,000 for property damage in a single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for the death of one person in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for the death of two or more people in an accidents
Without this minimum coverage, you can’t even get on the road. The problem is that these required minimum coverage amounts barely scratch the surface of what you need to be adequately protected. Plus, there are other types of auto insurance you might need, whether you’re at fault in an accident or not.
What Other Types Auto Insurance Could You Possibly Need?
Besides the bare minimum required by law, you should consider additional add-ons to your auto insurance policy.
- Collision insurance: If you hit something else – a car, a rail, a building, this insurance covers the damage to your vehicle.
- Comprehensive insurance: This protects you if someone steals your vehicle or if it’s damaged apart from an accident such as damage from bad weather.
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist coverage: Too many drivers don’t have insurance or don’t have enough. When the other driver is at fault but can’t cover the costs of the accident, this coverage kicks in.
- Personal Injury coverage: Your medical costs, replacement costs, funeral costs, and others, as well as those of the other driver’s, are covered with this insurance, regardless of who’s at fault.
Why Rey Insurance Can Help
The minimum New York auto insurance requirements are not sufficient enough to cover the costs of many auto accidents. It’s important to talk to an independent insurance agent who can ask the right questions, find out your likely risk, and suggest coverage options that will actually protect you in the event of an accident or other damage to your car. We have access to multiple insurance providers, so we can find you the better rates for the coverage you need.
We’ve been in business since 1978 and we know insurance, especially New York auto insurance. We’re a local, family-owned insurance agency founded by our father, Frank Rey. All these years later, the company is 100 percent owned by women, Frank’s daughters (that’s us!), and we’re carrying on the family tradition of helping our clients protect themselves and their property. We don’t want to simply find the right auto policy for you – we want you to understand it, too.
Our mantra is, “If we wouldn’t recommend it to our mom, we wouldn’t recommend it to you.”